Monday, September 29, 2014

5 tips from the IRS if you changed your name due to marriage or divorce

Five Tips if You Changed Your Name Due to Marriage or Divorce

IRS TAX TIP 2011-23,  February 02, 2011
If you changed your name as a result of a recent marriage or divorce you’ll want to take the necessary steps to ensure the name on your tax return matches the name registered with the Social Security Administration. A mismatch between the name shown on your tax return and the SSA records can cause problems in the processing of your return and may even delay your refund.
Here are five tips from the IRS for recently married or divorced taxpayers who have a name change.
  1. If you took your spouse’s last name or if both spouses hyphenate their last names, you may run into complications if you don’t notify the SSA. When newlyweds file a tax return using their new last names, IRS computers can’t match the new name with their Social Security Number.
  2. If you were recently divorced and changed back to your previous last name, you’ll also need to notify the SSA of this name change.
  3. Informing the SSA of a name change is easy; you’ll just need to file a Form SS-5,Application for a Social Security Card at your local SSA office and provide a recently issued document as proof of your legal name change.
  4. Form SS-5 is available on SSA’s website at, by calling 800-772-1213 or at local offices. Your new card will have the same number as your previous card, but will show your new name.
  5. If you adopted your spouse’s children after getting married, you’ll want to make sure the children have an SSN. Taxpayers must provide an SSN for each dependent claimed on a tax return. For adopted children without SSNs, the parents can apply for an Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number – or ATIN – by filing Form W-7A, Application for Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions with the IRS. The ATIN is a temporary number used in place of an SSN on the tax return. Form W-7A is available on the IRS website at, or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Aaron Kaplan - Certified Divorce Coach in Houston, Texas

If you need assistance will planning your options for the future or getting ready to file for divorce, you might want to contact AARON KAPLAN at 832-831-9451.

His website is

His rates are approximately $125 per hour.  This is much less than family law attorney's charge.  He can help you get organized BEFORE going to see a divorce attorney.  He will assist you in determining your goals and how to accomplish them.

Why you need a will in Texas?

A will is an important legal document that every adult should have. 
A will is especially important for people who own property, have children, and those who wish to designate how property will be distributed following the creator's death.
People who die, leaving children without a living parent, can designate the guardian of the children in their Will. Without such a designation, the Court will decide who is to care for the children.
People who own little or no property should also have a will. 
Without a will, the state decides how assets will be distributed and how debts will be paid, leaving surviving family members with fewer legal options.

What Is A Will?

A will is a legal document that establishes the wishes of an individual to be carried out upon his or her death.
 A will can address:
What property and assets are owned
  • How property and assets will be divided
  • Who the beneficiaries will be
  • Who guardians of minor children will be
  • Who the executor will be
A will can — and should be — customized to meet the unique needs of the individual it represents. 
The needs of a person with young children are much different than an 80-year-old widow with no children.
It is important to work with an attorney who can help you make plans based on your unique life circumstances.