Wednesday, January 11, 2017

I married somewhere else and now I live in Texas

In Texas, if you have lived here for at least 6 months then you are a legal resident of Texas.

It does not matter where you married - Las Vegas, Mexico, India, China, etc.

It does not matter if your spouse is not here.  If the spouse has never lived here then the court has limited jurisdiction over the person but YOU can get divorced.

I recommend that you hire an experienced family law attorney to guide you. It's more efficient and the attorney will know what needs to be done to accomplish finishing the divorce.

If your spouse cooperates, it saves time and money but even if they don't cooperate the divorce will eventually be granted after you have jumped through a bunch of hoops.

So look on for an attorney to help you.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment